INDIAN BUILDING CODE SUMMARY FOR ALL CONSTRUCTION PROFESSIONALS AND ENGINEERS
SALIENT FEATURES FIRE & LIFE SAFETY
In the field of property management it is of utmost importance to know government rules & regulations governing high-rise buildings from the fire safety & fire fighting point of view.
• Suitable provisions should be made in all multi-storied, high-rise buildings depending on the occupancy & height of the building & should be in accordance to the provisions of part IV Fire Protection of the NBC of India.
• In addition to these provisions, the property manager or security in- charge shall make arrangements for extra equipment required, if
felt necessary, and shall review it periodically to ensure the property always comply with the mandatory requirements.
• Any additions and omissions as per amendments prescribed from time to time of the National Building Code of India are to be adhered to.
All load-bearing elements of construction for which the required fire resistance is one hour or more should be of non-combustible material.
Interior finish material (wall panelling, floor coverings etc.) must have rating for flame spread &
smoke developed not exceeding very low flame spread limit & should be in accordance with IS: 1642
(class I) provisions.
Ceiling linking shall be non-combustible or of plasterboard.
• Stairways & corridors should not contain any combustible material.
• Structural supports & load bearing walls should be 3 hours Fire resistant, transoms & ceiling not less than 2 hours.
• Walls/partitions separating corridors form floor used for any purpose other than circulation should be Fire resistant not less than 1 hr. These should not have openings other than doors or delivery hatches, which should be at least ½ hour Fire resistant.
• Firewalls dividing the building to prevent Fire spread should be at least 2 hours Fire resistant.
• Facades excluding doors & windows should be of non-combustible material & the distance between the top of the opening on the lower floor & the still of that on the floor above it should be at least 0. 9 meters so that the Fire would have to travel the distance between floors.
Internal enclosing walls of the staircase shall be of brick or RCC with a Fire resistance of 2 hours & shall be reachable via a ventilated lobby through self-closing door rated not less than 2 hours & shall not have glazed or glass bricks.
The door should be single swing type opening in the direction of escape & should be fitted with check section door closures (panic bars).